Thursday, April 20, 2017

Sharing My Passion for Fly Fishing

Some people believe I am obsessed with fly fishing, and they are not wrong.  I have reached a point where it is no longer just about catching fish.  It is about the serenity, the love of being in the wilderness, the challenge, the next adventure.  It has now also about the people I meet, the friendships I have made, and the stories that are told.

I have decided it is time to work towards sharing my passion with people who have never had the pleasure to try it.  For the novice, getting into fly fishing can be daunting.  What gear do I need?  How to cast?  What flies should I use?  Where should I go?  And many other questions.

In order to help with this, I have worked with the State of Idaho to develop a business model to allow me to teach fly fishing, ON THE WATER.  Many fly shops and organizations teach fly casting, on the grass, but I can now teach fly fishing on private property on the beautiful St. Joe River in North Idaho.



In a one day session, I will teach people the basics of rods, reels, lines, leaders, tippets and flies.  My clients will then get a beginning casting lesson, then we will hit the water.  The creek that runs through my property is the perfect place to continue to learn to cast, while learning to properly drift the fly and manage the fly line.  While on the water we will discuss fish behavior, how to read the stream, as well as a beginner lesson on entomology.  What kind of bugs are in the water.  How do fish feed on them, and how to imitate these bugs with artificial flies.

At some point, my clients and I will enjoy a barbecued lunch at my cabin.  I won't be trying to impress them with my cooking skills, but rather, having a conversation and becoming friends.

After lunch we will venture to the St. Joe river, and continue our fishing session.  On the bigger water, the chance of catching fish goes up significantly.  While fishing I will continue to work with the clients on their casting form, their drift and line management, and if all goes well, I will have the opportunity to teach them proper and safe handling of fish during catch and release.

If you are someone you know is interested in getting a taste of fly fishing, spending a day on the river, and hopefully catching some fish on a fly rod, please visit   https://kb2flyrods.wixsite.com/onthewaterflyfishing for more information.

No comments: