Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Custom Fly Rod Components - Part 3 Get a Grip

While on most factory fly rods, the grip is just a shaped piece of cork to allow you to hold the rod easier.  They do come in several different shapes, Full Wells, Reverse Half Wells, Cigar, etc..., and different grades of cork, but they still are fairly plain and all similar.

The grip is one feature on my fly rods that I really like to make unique and one of a kind.  I use many different materials such as Elk Antler, exotic woods and other materials.

Elk Antler and Walnut Inlays

Changing the layout and look as well as the shape helps me add to the character of my customers personal fly rod.  Many times I have a discussion with the client about what they like, it might be they like dark wood finished furnishings, so I may choose a nice piece of burled walnut to accent the grip.















Burled Maple on a Full Wells Grip


If a customer is an elk or deer hunter, incorporating some antler into the grip would be their choice.  I am always looking and thinking about different materials and patterns to try.  





Hand Checkered Walnut
If you have an idea of what you think would make a great addition to your next fly rod, contact me and let's see what we can come up with.

No comments: