Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Custom Fly Rod Components - Part 2 A Guide to Rod Guides

After a customer has selected the blank for their custom fly rod, before the build can begin, the choice of rod guides must be made.  There are three different types of guides on a fly rod, the stripper guide(s), the running guides and the tip top.

Stripper Guides with Agate Inserts
The guide closest to the grip is called the stripper guide, it is the largest guide on the rod and its primary function is to funnel the slack line straight to allow it to smoothly run through the rest of the guides.  On some fly rods, usually over 9 feet long, a customer will request 2 stripper guides.  The stripper guide gets the most contact with the line while casting and therefor can receive the most wear.  Typical stripper guides will have a ceramic or agate insert to prevent wear and allow the line to run across it smoothly.  Stripper guides with agate inserts can add aesthetics to the rod as the agates come in a variety of colors, however agate guides are more expensive.  Ceramic or agate inserts will typically last forever under normal fishing conditions.


The remainder of the guides, with the exception of the tip top are called running guides.  Running guides will get progressively smaller the closer they get to the tip of the rod.  There are two primary types, double foot 'snake' guides and single foot guides.  I have fished with rods that use snake guides and others with single foot guides.  While some will argue that one is better than the other, I personally cannot detect a difference in the guides.  With the right size and spacing, in my opinion, either type works great and is up to the customers discretion.

Last but not least is the Tip Top.  There are many different styles and types but unlike the running guides I do have a personal preference on the fly rods that I fish with.  I tend to fish areas that have a lot of trees and brush that prevent me from making a full back cast, therefor I am forced to shoot the line in order to get distance.  Several years ago I replaced the tip top on one of my rods with an over sized loop tip top and noticed a significant difference in my cast. I recommend that if you tend to shoot the line a lot, to consider an over sized loop, some customers don't care for the appearance of an over sized loop, and I will use whatever they choose.

The most important factor with all guides is that they are good quality, sized and spaced correctly.  When building a rod, unless the customer gives me specific direction otherwise, I will follow the size and spacing recommended by the blank manufacturer.

No comments: