Thursday, December 22, 2016

Popcorn Fart Creek and Other Little Known Hot Spots

For one reason or another, all throughout my life my brothers, friends and I have always nicknamed some of our favorite hunting and fishing spots, as I am sure many other folks have.  I have elk hunted at a place we called 'Area 51' because we new the elk were in there because of the amount of sign, but never actually saw one.  Another area I have hunted is called 'The Grassy Knoll'.  We had many other names, 'The Beaver Pond Draw', 'The Hidden Draw', 'The Nike Site', and many others that we could refer to, and unless you were part of our group, you wouldn't have a clue where we were talking about.  

My favorite all time name we came up with was 'Popcorn Fart Creek'.  One summer we found a great little fishing hole on Crab Creek, where an old bridge on a farm road crossed.  We fished this hole many times that summer and always had great luck.  However, the next summer, the first time we decided to go fishing there, we were shocked when we arrived and found no water at all in the hole.  You see, Crab Creek has a tendency to go underground in certain areas and reappear further down stream, and this apparently is what had happened that year.  That fishing hole was forever named that day when, while staring with disappointment at our previously great spot, a friend of mine said, "crap, it's dryer than a popcorn fart."  Several years later, the creek reappeared in that spot and I am quite certain people thought we were crazy when they heard us say "let's go fishing at Popcorn Fart Creek."

I am sure many of you have nicknamed some of your favorite hunting and fishing spots.  You don't have to tell us where it is, but I would love to here the different names you have come up with and how it happened.


No comments: